Cherry Pie Bars

This is my grandma! I love her so much and I LOVE when we get to visit her at her home in Utah. She is always cooking up at least 5 different things at a time in the kitchen and one of them is always some kind of dessert. She makes the best banana bread and zucchini bars. I remember a few times growing up when my mom, grandma, and great grandma would get together and make cottage cheese dumplings (an old family recipe) or can fruit from my grandma’s garden. That garden is still amazing! I was able to take Charlotte there last year and she was in heaven! She ate so many cherries from the cherry tree, her face, hands and everything else were covered in juice. Those cherries were ahhhhmazing. My mom and grandma got together at the end of the season last year and bottled a bunch of pie cherries. While she was visiting she made some cherry pie bars for the family and they were one of the best things I’ve ever eaten.

What I loved about making these tonight is that almost everything used was home/farm grown. My mom and dad raise chickens, bees, and bunnies and they get their milk/cream fresh from a local dairy and turn it into butter at home. So that means my very own family produced the butter, cream, cherry pie filling (from grandma’s tree), and eggs used in the recipe. That’s kind of amazing to me! I never thought home grown things could taste so much different, but it’s true, they do!

Let’s get back to the bars. Some things you should know going into this: Spreading the dough into the jelly roll pan is the most difficult part of this whole project. It just takes a little bit of time to get it thin enough with out having any holes. This is what it should look like.

Also, this should go without saying but you don’t have to make your own butter or cherry pie filling. Store bought really is just fine. It was fun to watch my mom turn the canned cherries into pie filling!

And we didn’t have pasteurized milk so we used cream for the glaze instead.

Here we go!

• 2 (21 oz) cans cherry pie filling

For the Glaze

• 1 Cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 TBS milk or cream

Directions

• In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Beat in the extracts. Add flour and salt to the butter mixture, mix just until incorporated.
  • Spread about 2/3 of the batter into a greased cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. Cover with cherry pie filling. Then drop the remaining batter all over the top of the filling, like a strudel.
  • Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. Drizzle with glaze and allow to cool.

Mmm… Look how pretty they are! They tasted even better than they look if you can imagine.

Let me know if you make this! Thanks for reading!

*I should add that this recipe is from Allrecipes in 2012 but I wasnt able to find a current link

17 Comments Add yours

1. Oh yummy. I love visiting my nan she is always baking so many things too.

2. mistimaan says:

Looks yummy

3. newmumfun6 says:

Sounds yum!! Will have to make these as getting hungry just looking at your photos!

4. This looks super good. I’ll have to male this one day!

5. lisajakesmomma says:

I am not personally a huge fan of cherry, but my husband LOVES them. I have been searching for a delicious dessert to surprise him with for father’s day and this looks perfect!

6. mkefamilyof3 says:

Ok it’s not even 8 am and now I’m craving this. Looks amazing. PS love the butter meme- so funny!

Liked by 1 person

7. These look delicious and a perfect summer dessert! I’ll let you know if make them. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

8. Twinsietips says:

OMG yum! I cant wait to try these 🙂

Liked by 1 person

9. emmamc84 says:

That looks seriously yummy! My husband loves cherry bakes so will have to give this a go!

10. huda says:

It looks extremely delicious. Im definitely going to try it out!

Liked by 1 person

11. shakibhuda says:

It looks extremely delicious! definitely going to try it out.

Liked by 1 person

12. Annaa says:

Looks delicious! I bet that cherry pie filling is sooo much better than store bought. Certainly explains the lack of fire engine red filling (why “they” think food colouring makes things better is beyond me). Some day I will have a cherry tree to have home grown cherry pie filling!

Liked by 1 person

1. Breanna Walker says:

It’s so true! I wish I could say we were at a point where we never eat them, but I feel a little better every time we can avoid it.

13. Paula says:

Home grown and homemade…yummy! Traditions and family foods are the best!

Liked by 1 person

14. Daisy says:

Oh my goodness these sound absolutely delicious!!! I can’t wait to make these with my little boy!

Liked by 1 person

15. Lindsay says:

Drooooool!! Saving this one, it’s cherry season a little later where I live. Can’t wait! Wish I had access to all those farm fresh ingredients. Also LOL to that meme.

Liked by 1 person

16. Thank you for following my blog. I look forward to reading yours.

Liked by 1 person